Saturday, October 17, 2009

All aboard!

It is official! Yesterday 10/16/09 I awoke at 4:30 a.m. and my father dropped me off at the Redmond Airport. I flew to Seattle and took a taxi into the heart of rainy downtown arriving at the Lindlbad Expeditions west coast office. I filled out my final paperwork and meet a variety of employees with job titles such as; port operations manager, captain of the National Geographic Explorer, 2nd mate to the National Geographic Sea Lion, Purchasing Manager, Engineering, Human Resources, Staffing and others...

There is a very inviting and warm feel to the office in which spectacular wildlife shots cover the walls. All photography was obviously taken by professional photographers who accompany these vessels on their adventures. The above photo displays my basic attire for the 6 month journey. Khaki pants, blue polo, L.E. belt, and during the colder times...a fleece and or jacket. I also have a incredibly styling jump suit provided for those not so cleanly tasks.

Tomorrow morning at 8:30 am I will set my eyes on the NG Sea Bird for my first time. I am instructed to meet the 152' Sea Bird at the Riverplace Marina in Portland. After meeting the crew and familiarizing myself with the vessel I expect to be put to work. I have a fixed schedule of seven 12 hr days in a row followed by an 18hr brake, and continue that pattern until April 28th! The first two weeks we will be giving tours on the Columbia River, and then head south to Alameda Shipyard outside of Oakland California for an entire month. After a month of maintenance and preparing the ship for 5 months at sea...the real adventure begins! I don't know how often I will have internet access, but I know that I will be updating this with photos and stories whenever I can!

3 comments:

  1. To learn more about Lindblad Expeditions and their destinations simply go to www.expeditions.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Must connect with Olina at CSUEast Bay while you are in Oakland!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep writing! I know you will be busy and tired but you will lOVE having this....forever! The Columbia must be gorgeous how far do you go??
    Try to post a photo of the ship so I can visualize.
    love Lady

    ReplyDelete